Mimi Framework

DICE2016 Julia implementation

Is a Julia implementation of the newest DICE revision (2016R or 2016R2) in the works? I would like to use the most up-to-date version of the model and I want to know whether it is already in the process of being ported to the Mimi framework before attempting to do it myself.

Up to this point I don’t believe anyone has started implementing DICE2016, although there certainly has been some interest so there may be users interested in helping you out. I would also hope the source code for the implementations is the DICE 2010 and 2013 could help as a framework!

I was indeed considering looking to the former models for inspiration. The passage to DICE2016R looks relatively straightforward at first glance, that to DICE2016R2 a little less so. I will post here if this is a route I want to take and if I make progress.

1 Like

That sounds good, we’ll stay tuned to help you out however we can.

I just published a Julia implementation of the DICE-2016R model on GitHub. It is based on the Excel version 090916 available on the website of William Nordhaus. I did some tests and everything seems to be in order. Because I could not find detailed results for DICE-2016R2 runs against which to validate my output, I set the default parameters to their DICE-2016R values. As usual, those can be changed by the user though. I also added the five uncertain parameter definitions presented by William Nordhaus in “Projections and Uncertainties about Climate Change in an Era of Minimal Climate Policies” in the mcs.jl file, if one may wish to perform semi-stochastic runs of the model. Finally, some elements formerly treated as parameters in older models are now treated as variables and some non-explicit parameters are now made explicit. This is in part due to some of the uncertain parameters not being present in the older model implementations.

Wonderful! @davidanthoff this might be something we could register in the Mimi registry if @AlexandrePavlov is interested? I can also add it to the list on our website.

Yes, of course. Let me know if you would like me to tweak some things or explain some of my code.

I’m glad you found Mimi to be useful. I’ll add your model to our list and let @davidanthoff handle the registration steps for now. If you had any suggestions or requests for improvements please do feel free to let us know here or as a specific issue on Github! We use the issues to track various to-dos and suggestions.